Sunday, August 23, 2009

So, why effective communication?

“Speak Well, Be Understood” – Singapore’s Speak Good English Movement (SGEM)

Indeed, in order to be understood by people around me, I have to first communicate my ideas effectively. That is also the reason why I see effective communication as an essential life skill to master – because communication is important in so many ways!

For one, strong bonds are not forged overnight. It has to go through many stages and communication is a very important part in developing and maintaining good relationships with people. Being the only child, I value my family more than anything else in the world. As such, I make an effort to make sure I have dinner with my parents at least twice a week no matter how busy I am. Constant updating about each other’s lives can certainly help to bring the parent-child understanding to a higher level. And in order for both parties to update each other, communication must take place. (Edited)


Communication also displays its importance in my friendships and relationship. I believe that being able to communicate effectively with friends will strengthen our friendship as my friends would then be able to relate to my experiences and get to know me a lot better. Moreover, communication is so essential in keeping a relationship going. Trust and understanding are two very important aspects in maintaining a stable relationship and both use communication as a platform.

Lastly, effective communication is crucial in understanding people from all walks of life and allowing them to open up to you. Being a volunteer under the NUS Students’ Community Service Club, I give voluntary tuition at a children’s home every Wednesday evening, and perhaps this story of mine would further illustrate how communication works wonders:

Close to a year ago, I started volunteering at this children’s home. A primary 4 girl (I apologise for not being able to write down her name as the identities of the kids are to be protected) was attached to me as my tutee. Despite spending 2 and a half hours with her each week, I only left a vague impression in her memory as her volunteer and each week I had to find her in a group of young girls to get to her and re-introducing myself to her. As such, both of us discussed on the best way for her to remember me and I was the “jie-jie” (jie-jie means sister in Mandarin) with long hair and has metals on her teeth (those were braces and I happened to be the only one with braces and long hair then). However, what I didn't expect was the fact that her vague impression of me was going to change for the better with the use of appropriate communication. (Edited)
 

As her attention span is relatively short, I tried to make our sessions interesting by playing games with her. Whenever she loses the game, she has to finish a mathematics problem. And this not only greatly enhanced the learning process; it has also indirectly built up a relationship between the both of us. Today, whenever I arrive at the home every Wednesday evening, I see a small hand waving enthusiastically at me accompanied by a broad smile on her face while calling out for me. Such a gesture signalled to me that she was more than prepared for more games, for more interesting school updates to be shared with me, and so was I. What's more? She remembers me.

So there you have it, verbal and non-verbal communication has contributed a lot to my personal development & relationships with the people around me. Communication is an art, and I hope to become a skilled artist.

Edited: Monday August 24th, 9:32PM.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sherlynn,

    Interesting post on your experience on volunteering.

    One key point in effective communication will then be being culturally connected, as in your case, how you had engage the young girl with games, connecting with her through the channel of games.

    Likewise in communicating with others, it is important to speak and know their "language", in order to communicate effectively.

    As the saying goes "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a small typo mistake:
    "But little did I know at that time that that description was only needed temporarily."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amos,

    Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I have thus edited my post a little. Hopefully the idea is clearer now (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherlynn,

    I liked how your post took effective communication up a level to include bond-fostering. It is such an interesting idea that being able to communicate effectively can also strengthen the bonds that you have between you and your loved ones simply because you will then be able to effectively and correctly send out a message of love and care (for example, playing games with the little girl and having dinner with your parents). It is not a point many have taken into consideration, certainly not me.

    Thank you for putting this seed of an idea into my head. I will sit at the dining table and dinner with my parents tonight instead of dinnering with my tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sherlynn,

    I must agree communication is very important in terms of fostering relationships. If individuals could not understand each other, and could not share their emotions, there wouldn't be any deep bonds forged :)
    I would agree that family is very important to us, well, to me too. And coming just from Van's blog, I have this thoughts about them (family and communication). Why are we able to communicate with our family better than friends our colleages? (in most cases) I think it would be because we have the same background and raised in a similar manner (for siblings). Well, as for parents wise, they were the ones that shaped our communication skills from young so it is only natural that we are very well versed with whats 'okay' and 'not okay' for them. Of course the bonds that we have are out of love but it wouldn't have happened without proper communication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I just scrolled down from your post and saw all the comments that you've generated. Now I really look forward to reading what you've written!

    ***

    This is a very well developed response, Sherlynn. I like the way you move from the general discussion of the value of skills to the specific example of your experience working at the children's home. You certainly seem to have hit upon an effective formula with your young tutee, too. That illustrates succinctly juts how much effort we each have to make to connect with others. I also applaud your realization that this stuff we're talking about is really an art form. Good for you!

    There are a couple minor problems with language use in this post. Look at these two examples and see if you can correct them.

    1) It is through constant updating about each other’s lives can parent-child understanding be brought to a higher level – that involves communication.

    2) But what I didn't know, was that such a description was only needed temporarily.

    Cheers>>>

    ReplyDelete