Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Presenting To You: The WonderWomen


"Experience is what you get when you 
didn't get what you wanted" ~Randy Pausch


Our team was the first to present and that definitely put a certain amount of pressure for us to perform well. I thought as a group we did quite well, I wouldn't say we were perfect but at the very least there was smooth transition from one member to another, and each of us presented our parts with much confidence. The presentation slide template was good and Q&A was also very well handled. I believe each of us put in our very best and there really isn't anything more I could expect from the other 3 Wonderwomen. They were awesome (:  THANK YOU, WONDERWOMEN!

I wouldn't say that yesterday's presentation was the best I've done, in fact, I thought I did better in the peer teaching presentation! ): Perhaps because the atmosphere in yesterday's presentation was much more stressful and tensed as compared to the peer teaching. Nonetheless, for the first time (or not I can't really remember) I've decided to present without the use of a script. It was pretty useful because then I had more chances to have more eye contact with the rest of the class as well as be more focused on what I'm saying instead of periodically referring back to my script frantically looking for where I left off. 

However, one major weakness in my presentation was the fact that I relied too much on the presentation slides. Perhaps it was the survey figures, or perhaps I just needed the security blanket like what Brad mentioned. Such an action just came so subtly and so unnoticeable to me! So that is one area I think I could work on and do better in my future presentations. Other than that, I thought I did rather okay, with good posture, good voice projection and good eye contact. I had relatively good knowledge on my slides and what I was presenting. 

But well, this presentation has undoubtedly gave me valuable experience which might come in very useful in the near future. Even though there were flaws in my presentation, I wouldn't be too disappointed in myself because I know I can learn from my mistakes and do better in the next presentation!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post, Sherlynn. I agree that going first is very stressful, but I think you all handled that situation well. I really appreciate all the hard work, and I must say that I was impressed by the level of professionalism you guys demonstrated throughout the project. Wonderwomen, indeed!

    More comments to follow---

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sherlynn,

    I am glad you decided to present without a script; you did appear more confident and prepared :) You presented well with good voice projection, suitable eye contact and great use of gesture. However, at some point, you did rely a little too much on your slides, and I think one of the slides (the one with many bar charts?) was a little too much for us audience. Perhaps there could be a better way to present your survey findings?

    Nonetheless, your group had great rapport between team members (I think I repeated this sentence like 3 times already; you're the last wonderwomen I am commenting on haha) and it was evident from the oral presentation. Slide template was nice and unique (I think I should say this on Gwen's blog, right?) Your group also handled the Q&A session confidently.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brad!

    Yes Michelle, I do agree about the slide on the bar charts. Our group actually tried to think of any other way to better present the figures but we were so stuck! :D But yeah, I believe those slides could be further improved (: Thanks for commenting! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherlynn,

    I didn't feel that you were over-reliant on your slides. I understand that you would want to look at your slide when presenting survey findings to direct your audience's eyes to the slides as well. But that's just my opinion.

    I thought you presented really well! You spoke confidently, with good volume and good speed. I thought you were one of the better presenters of the day. :)

    Pei En

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherlynn,

    As I remember you are the only one Wonderwoman presenting without a help sheet? Am I right?

    You look confident and pretty professional in the suit you wore. I must admit that I like it much. You are always having a very good voice projection. It's your strength, I believe.

    One point everybody found from Wonderwomen is the stressful faces. That's why I saw you did not show much friendliness to audience, meaning you did not smile as much as you did in last presentation. Just my thought smiling could be a good thing during presentations.

    You said you relied much on your slides. But likewise with Pei En's opinions, I did not really recognize it clearly and for me it's okay.

    All in all, I really like Wonderwomen's presentation. Try to promote and develop your strength such as voice projection, professional cum natural look. Pressure before every presentation is the fact that each of us needs to overcome, and I believe you would gain more confidence in other presentations in the future.

    Although I can no longer see you present in our class anymore, I wish to see you excellent presentations in the future in another class, or in public, you knows. :))

    Cheers,

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pei En and Jake!

    Thank you for both of your comments. It would be very useful for me in improving and developing better presentation skills in the future.

    And Jake, yes indeed! I felt more stressed than I was when I did my peer teaching! :D But thanks I will work on that next time! (:

    All the very best in the presentation tmr Pei En & Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sherlynn!

    I didn't read the post until now. I think we all did great despite the nerves. Personally, I think you did just fine. Don't be paranoid! Haha.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sherlynn,
    Just realised my comments didn't make it up again. Anyway, its good that you pointed out the part about the survey results as it did go 'wow' when I saw the graph of the survey results.

    Felt that there was really a lot of information there and could have been done better. On your speaking confidence, I would say that you did not appear nervous at all and spoke quite naturally. Keep it up!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Feodor!

    Yeah our group really couldn't think of any other way to present that graph, perhaps another better alternative could have been used (:

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete