Wednesday, September 23, 2009

So, who is better than who?


This entry has been created solely for academic purposes only. Issues are brought up and discussed on an impartial stand and the author bears no responsibility if any part of this entry is to offend any parties involved.


According to the list of definitions given as part of our readings, culture can be broadly defined as "the shared patterns of behaviors and interactions, cognitive constructs, and affective understanding that are learned through a process of socialization. These shared patterns identify the members of a culture group while also distinguishing those of another group." 

Undoubtedly, culture is a form of social cement that brings and bonds people with common values and beliefs together as a society/community. Since religion can be considered a major part of culture, I will attempt to evaluate intercultural behaviour through an analysis on the differences in religious views.


I remember having lunch with Ernie, Barney and Sweety at Sakae Sushi one afternoon. Ernie and Barney happened to start a discussion on the subject of religion, specifically Christianity. It started off pretty much like any other random conversation which 2 good friends would have. But it didn't take long before they started disagreeing with each other even though they've been the best of friends for more than a decade. Based on my memory, this was the conversation between them:

*Fictitious names are used to protect the identities of the people involved*


Ernie: I don't really like the way you Christians try to convert people to believe in your religion.
Barney: What about?
Ernie: I mean, not that I have anything against you people. We've been studying in a Christian school for God knows how long! Even though I'm pretty much used to such culture, I wonder why I still can't accept it.
Barney: Did you even try to? I mean, did you even give yourself a chance to embrace it?
Ernie: I did! You have no idea how many times I've tried! I've followed people to church services, prayed, did all the things I'm "supposed" to do! But I still don't find any part of myself Christian and what I can't accept is the fact that many Christians think that by accepting Christ, I will go to Heaven. And so, what happens to me now? I've tried. I can't find myself accepting Christ. So, does that mean I will be sent to Hell instead? Well, in that case, *Ernie turns to Sweety and says* I will see you in Hell!
Barney
: No, this doesn't mean that you have to be a Christian to be able to go to Heaven, it just means that by believing in Christ you accept Him in your life, and to share a connection with Him. 

Ernie: *rolls his eyes* OH WHATEVER!


I chose to stay out of the whole conversation to avoid any further misunderstandings. Honestly, I felt that the whole disagreement was unneccesary. It was obviously just a clash of opinions. I believe that each culture, more so religious culture in this scenario, has their own set of beliefs and values. Therefore, I thought it was rather rude of Ernie to spew such sarcastic comments without giving much consideration to Barney, who is his best friend for many years even though he was a devoted Christian. Perhaps this is a classic demonstration of the fact that culture, not only in the form of religion, can be vastly different not only between nations, but between companies, families and even friends.

In this situation, it is evident that the impression of Christianity differs between someone who is part of this religious culture and someone who is not. From Ernie's perspective, being someone outside of this culture group, he found himself struggling to understand and attach himself to some of the values and beliefs of this culture. As such, Ernie would find concepts like Heaven and beliefs relating to it hard to accept  On the contrary, Barney, being someone who was born into and grew up in this culture group, he does not find himself having any trouble immersing in the beliefs of this culture. He knows too well what it means to accept Christ into his life, sharing a connection with God, finding solace in God and living his life the Christian way.

Being a non-Christian myself, I find myself facing some difficulty understanding such abstract Christianity concepts. As a student for 2 years in a Christian Junior College, I have witnessed how Christianity has transformed my friends' lives for the better. Despite not being a believer in Christianity, I can understand how much the belief in God means to Christians. Christianity, like any other religious culture, provides its believers with a set of values and beliefs that play a major role in governing their behaviour. As a form of social cement, religious culture also bonds people of the same cultural group together through various activities. Be it Christianity, Buddhism or other religions, religious functions such as church services and temple festivities serve as effective platforms for interaction and communication between individuals with the same beliefs.

In this aspect, I believe that every individual (in this case, Ernie) is entitled to his own opinions. However, every individual should also bear in mind the need for sensitivity and self-consciousness when communicating with individuals of a different cultural group. It is of utmost importance for individuals to understand and respect the differences of another culture compared to their own. As such, individuals would be able to communicate their opinions in a less offensive manner and be flexible enough to accept any differences in perspectives. It is only through this way that cultural differences and practices can truly be embraced and appreciated.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sherlynn,
    I can understand where both parties are coming from as I was like Barney before. I actually had a the same experience as you have described when I was in the army. My friend was a strong unbeliever, and I, a strong believer then. This exchange did happen quite a few times over the year when we are bunkmates, though it was never ill-intended towards each other.

    Another friend of our's did mention, like you, that everyone has the right to believe what they want to and shouldn't impose on other if they do not want to. I suppose this is the central idea that holds religious harmony together in Singapore. I do feel that many of today's conflicts do have their roots in insensitivity towards each other's cultures too. Just a thought.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Feodor!

    Thanks for your comment! (: It is nice to know that you've been through a similar experience as what I've dictated in my post. Surely such misunderstandings happen even though none of the parties had any ill-intentions. Perhaps it's just a lack of understanding for their beliefs.

    Yes, I agree that many of today's conflicts stem from the simple fact of disrespect and insensitivity. Without these two components, a subtle difference can be blown out of proportion and eventually hatred brew and conflicts happen.

    And you are right, perhaps the central idea that holds religious harmony together is this concept of embracing and respecting cultural differences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherlynn!

    I think the example you have highlighted is one that many people living in Singaporeans would have experienced at least once in their lives. This is especially so with regard to Christianity which seems to be growing at an astounding rate in schools. Unfortunately as much as they have experienced huge success, evident in the growth of many mega-churches that can be found scattered all around the island, they have also unknowingly created much discontentment among many.

    I guess that in every religion, it is the hope of believers that ‘the lost’ would come to see what they see. Since Christian movements are often targeted at the younger generations in Singapore, the youths are full of energy and passionate about sharing the gospel with their friends. As a result, many of their methods of 'evangelism' will not as tactful as we would like, but I guess they were merely doing it in the way they know best, which might also be the way they were successfully ‘converted’.

    See you in class on Tues! (:

    Regards,
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey gals,
    I did some thinking and it did occur to me the arguement of accepting the beliefs and cultures of others could be applied to justifying the legitamacy of homosexuality too. That in turn could lead religious individuals to argue that accepting practices of others is a 'radical' thought and become further justification for them to convert non-believers. Just a thought.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherlynn

    You have so courageously approached the topic of religion, which has been responsible for much of the blood feuds and tension that have plagued most parts of the human history.

    The scenario you illustrated is not unusual. In fact, I've been in plenty before, being the less than enthusiatic christian that I am. The situation is often awkward and painful for all involved. I am glad that you have offered good advice on how to handle such touchy issues with tact.

    I agree that such disagreements are uncalled for. In situations where no one knows for sure who's right or wrong, everyone should be given the benefit of doubt and be respected for their choices. As difficult as it seems, ultimately, it takes respect and understanding for two parties to resolve a conflict as such. It is precisely this sort of respect and understanding that has allowed us to maintain a harmonious multi-racial/religion society. (:

    Cheers
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  7. [To Jas]: Yes indeed, Christianity has started becoming increasingly popular in the later generations, and they target mainly youths like what you've mentioned. I guess that's because Christianity is transforming into a personalised religion which is able to suit what youths are looking for in their faith. Perhaps this rapid widespread conversion could also be due to youths having more tendency to succumb to peer pressure. Through recommendations and good comments from their peers, non-believers would be skewed towards believing in the same religion too. Don't you think?

    [To Feodor]: Well, i guess an institution like religion is in place to check people's behaviours and ensuring that they live the "right" way, so to speak. So in that sense your point could be valid! Interesting thought!

    [To Gwen]: Yupp, agreed! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Sherlynn, for this really excellent post (one of the best I've read on this topic!). I like the way you preface it with the note of caution, the cartoon is especially appropriate (can I borrow that some time?), and your description of the incident and your analysis are superb. Your tone is also one of admirable objectivity and respect.

    I can also see how well you have also stimulated the thinking of your classmates. Gwen even lauded your courage, and I have to do that as well.)

    Two Thumbs Up here, Sherlynn! A pleasurable read with fine insight!

    ReplyDelete