Friday, September 4, 2009

Would You Hire Me?


In order to save myself from typing out the job specifications, I've decided to take a screenshot of the job application that I will be using to write my application letter! (:



So here comes my application letter.
______________________________________________________________


September 3, 2009


Dear Sir/Madam


Medical Technologist (Haematology) at SGH, Reference: SGH/RES/0809/022


In response to career opportunities posted on 18th August 2009 on the Careers@SingHealth website, I am writing to express my keen interest in joining your team of Medical Technologists. In addition, I have also enclosed my resume for your kind reference.


As a 3rd year undergraduate majoring in Life Sciences (Biomedical Science) at NUS, I believe I am equipped with the skills and qualities relevant to this position. I am aware that the job scope of this position involves techniques such as RT-PCR and DNA sequencing. Having taken a module in Experimental Molecular Biology in my 2nd year of study, I am adequately experienced in the procedures involved in the above mentioned techniques. Being a fast and earnest learner, I am willing to pick up any additional skills during the job. In addition, I thrive well under stress and step up to working efficiently in fast pace working environments.


Being an active member in the NUS Student’s Community Service Club (CSC), I am able to prioritise my tasks effectively. As the Honorary Deputy Treasurer in the 8th Management Committee and work experience as a part-time cashier, I have undertaken responsibilities which required me to be meticulous and conscientious. I am also a very committed person, supported by my consistent attendance in regular volunteering sessions at Chen Su Lan Methodist Children’s Home. These qualities are highly relevant to the position of a medical technologist as working professionally in a laboratory requires one to be committed, cautious and organised.


As a motivated individual equipped with leadership skills, I was given the chance to hone my inter-personal and organisational skills by leading the logistics cell for the Freshmen Orientation Camp in 2009. Such skills would be essential should there be any critical decision-making processes and collaborative work in your research laboratory. Moreover, being a creative individual, I was appointed the Décor I/C in the Graduation Night Organising Committee in 2005 and managed to successfully implement my constructive ideas. Therefore, in a situation where an alternative solution is needed, I believe I would be able to rise up to the occasion and put my creativity to good use.


Given my skills and capabilities, I believe I have the qualities and motivation that you are looking for. A career with you in the Research & Development industry will definitely provide me with the chance to be part of a challenging yet exciting working environment. Therefore, I strongly believe if given an opportunity to work with you, I would be of great service and value to your department.


I would be delighted to discuss more about my job scope and application with you. I can be easily contacted through phone and/or email as indicated below. Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.


Yours Sincerely,


Sherlynn Chan


(Address)
Mobile: 97884122
Email: sher__lynn@hotmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sherlynn,

    I think your application letter is very well written and I can't find anything to comment on! (: I would definitely want to grant you an interview if i were the employer. Perhaps the only drawback would be that it is slightly lengthy, but I don't think it would be a problem at all.


    Regards,
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Sherlynn,

    I thought you were being very clear in your letter about relating your experiences to the job you want to secure. I also like how you market your skills and used your many CCA and volunteering experiences to back yourself up.

    Anyways, I think you might want to include a paragraph on why you want the job, how it's interesting to you and why it is important in your career. My 2 cents :)

    ReplyDelete